Chicago Overtime Lawsuit–Answering Cell & Emails Is Working
The lawsuit in Chicago about whether or not police officers answering issued cell phones and email accounts after hours presents an interesting situation. What if you also have an employee who is charged with handling the Social Media account and you don’t have them salaried but are trying to save costs by paying them M-F 8-5 and as close to minimum wage as you can get it?
There are all sorts of high-ranking employees where I can see this would just be covered in a salary and a non-issue. But what about hourly employees?
Not having seen the totality of the suit’s claims, it’s hard to say, but it poses and interesting question. Particularly if you want to lump Social Media interactions and the consistency of one person’s “voice” into your SM feed. What then?
How do you handle employees and their requirements to take calls, answer emails and maybe even interact on Twitter when they’re “off the clock?”
- Suit: Answering calls, scanning emails deserves OT (seattletimes.com)
- Lady Gaga Lawsuit Reveals Best Friends Aren’t Always Forever (hollywood.com)
- Cell Phone Radiation Lawsuit Update: ICEMS Position Paper Supports Italian Supreme Court Ruling on Cell Phones and Brain Tumors, Bernstein Liebhard LLP Reports (prweb.com)
- MinuteHound Releases Time Clock Software For Small Business (prweb.com)
- Target store cleaners may settle with subcontractor on overtime (bizjournals.com)
- Chicago City Empoyee Has the Game Figured Out, Made $91,000 in OT Last Year (complex.com)
- Lawsuit Filed Against Aarons, Inc. By The San Diego Labor Lawyers At Blumenthal Nordrehaug & Bhowmik For Alleged Unlawful Overtime Pay Scheme (virtual-strategy.com)
- W. Pa. man files lawsuit against LinkedIn (kfwbam.com)
- Dell taken private in $24B deal… Obama urges sequester delay… Chicago traffic among the worst… Flacco could get $25k tax with Corvette… Feds hit S&P with $5B lawsuit – VIDEO (bizjournals.com)
- InCharged, LLC Releases its Newest Cell Phone Charging Station, the InVolt (prweb.com)