iPhone Portrait Lock – I’ve Been Missing This
There have been many a days and nights while lying on my bed or the sofa, etc. when I’ve begun texting someone or looking at my iPhone and because of it’s orientation, it spun around. I’d move the phone and it’d move again. And I’d move the phone and it’d move again. Finally, I just had to sit up and type out whatever I’d wanted to do out of frustration.
When iPad came along, I was glad to see they just added the switch on the side near the volume. That was a lot of help. But alas, no such button on the iPhone.
Now most of you reading this know I’m pretty up-to-date on the latest offerings from Apple. But this one apparently slipped past me. So how do you lock the screen on an iPhone so it won’t turn while you’re lying down or whatever?
My 16-year-old daughter about jumped out of her chair in jubilation that she knew some Apple thing that I did not. But here’s what you do.
Push the HOME button, the button on your screen in the middle at the bottom, TWICE while the phone is open. A menu of options will appear–it’s actually all the apps that you currently have open on the phone. (If you hold down an app it will start jiggling and a red circle with a – sign will appear if you want to close the app. This can be helpful if your phone starts running slowly and you have three dozen apps open….)
But if you slide the app icons to the right, you will come to a screen much like the one pictured here in the post. See the icon with the circle and the arrow in the circle? Tap that and it will lock your orientation on the iPhone. You can then press the Home Button once again to return to the screen/app you are active in.
It’s that simple.
And yes, I felt a little silly cos I didn’t know that. But it’s a great feature and I’m glad Apple finally has added it to the mix.
- iPhone 5: 20 most-wanted features (reviews.cnet.com)
- New Keystone ECO™ SlimLine Waterproof Case for iPhone 5 Protects iPhone At Depths of over 6 ½ Feet Below the Water’s Surface (prweb.com)
- Advice For Troubleshooting Your iPhone (alliphonetips.wordpress.com)
- Why a longer iPhone 5 screen needs to happen (reviews.cnet.com)
- Google+ gets update for iPhone and a new iPad version (reviews.cnet.com)
- I is for Iphones & Ipads (myfirst5k.wordpress.com)
- T-Mobile announces iPhone trade-in program (applescoop.com)
- Reviewing Iphone5 (knowyourphones.wordpress.com)
- First Looks: Musubo Diamond for iPhone 5 (ilounge.com)
- iPhone Maker Foxconn Has A 19% Sales Drop Because Of Disappointing iPhone Sales (embargozone.com)